2002/11/19

In the news:

Advertising is going to take over the world unless some drastic measures are taken. The fight for our eyeballs and our attention is getting out of control. I've seen stories about people selling ad space on their foreheads for tattoo'd ads. Web ads and spam are out of control. Commercials before movies is totally common. Product placement is going to be the next new wave (seeing your favorite soft drink or food placed randomly in a movie), and is already common on Survivor. I've seen motorcycles and cars with billboards on the back driving through rush hour traffic. It's Getting Worse. (PS: Check this out.)

There is a story where scientists have taken pictures, and detected X-rays from a galaxy over 400 million light years away. This absolutely blows my mind. Take a second as you read this to stop and thing how far 400 million light years away is. Just to make it easier: I think it takes something like 8 seconds for the sun's light to reach earth. Imagine it travelling for a year, how far that must be. Then imagine it travelling 400 years. Then 400 million years. Unbelievable, and simply astounding that we are able to detect something so far away. I guess it could be all BS (what am I going to do.... verify their results?!) but color me impressed.

Diana and I watched "Alien" the other night. What a great movie that is. Of course, that means "Aliens" is up next. I haven't seen the extended directors cut version, so that will be fun.

Happy Birthday to Mick and Norm! :)


No comments: