2003/07/08

When I was 13, I went to an all boys summer camp. One of the highlights of the summer was an afternoon social event with the girls camp. The activities ended with a dance in the evening. I have a very specific memory of The Fat Girl at the dance. When you're 13, it's not hard to pick out The Fat Girls in the crowd and avoid eye contact with her. I remember walking out of the dance and around the building a little bit to get some fresh air and cool down, and I walked near The Fat Girl and her friend (not fat). She was crying, clearly upset that she wasn't getting any boy attention. I vividly remember clearly hearing her plead "Just for one night, I wish I looked like Miss America... just once!" It was pretty heartbreaking, even for a shallow 13 year old. I looked away and kept walking.


I sometimes think back to that moment, and think about how I should have asked her to dance. I would have taken heat for it from my friends, that's for damn sure. But in the end, I think it might have been worth it.

No comments: