2009/03/11

Where Allie Goes to the Doctor...

Allie had her 1.5 year doctor's appointment today. 

 

For her part, Allie was a trooper throughout.  She was nervous, but fought back her tears.  When I first laid her on the table for the doctor to check her out, she declared that she was "Aw-none" (all done). 

 

The doctor asked questions that I was thankful to have the right answers to, like "Is she running and climbing?  Is she talking?  Is she using a spoon and cup?"  The kind of answers that I might feel worried if the answer was no.  But I answered yes to everything, and the doctor declared her "perfect".  I agreed, but (as I explained to Allie), I am biased, but she is a medical professional!  She's gone through YEARS of school, and even she thought Allie was perfect!

 

Dr. Gina (as we call her behind her back) remarked that Allie was 90'somethingth percentile for height, and pretty average for weight.  I asked if there was a way to predict her height, and she said that you can double their height at this age to get a prediction.  That would put Allie at 5'7".  So, Olympic gymnastics is probably cut.  Professional beach volleyball it is, then!

 

She had to get two S-H-O-T-S, but only cried for a tiny bit.

 

Afterwards, with tears still drying on her face:

"OK, Allie.  You're all done!"

"Aw-none!"

"Would you like to go outside?"

"Out-tide...!  Yeah."

"Would you like to go to Dorrie's house and play?"

"Yeah..."

 

Cute.  She's a good ship...

 

I never got a chance to post a recap of my mile race against Iwan.  It's a long and harrowing tale about a boy and four laps around a high school track, but the long and short of it is that Iwan is in much better shape than I am, beating me by half a lap and over a minute in time.  I'm not sure exactly how the whole event came to be, but that's how it ended.  Running a mile with absolutely zero training was a little humbling.

 

It got me thinking about other fun events we (not just me and Iwan, but everyone) could do, and perhaps turn into an official "Super Happy Lucky Best Day of Champions Decathlon of Domination".  Some events that come have sprung to mind:

 

Field goal kicking (longest)

Football accuracy

Free throw contest (most made out of N)

9-ball pool (bracket tournament)

Poker tournament

Mile Run

General knowledge quiz (random Trivial Pursuit type questions)

…?

 

Any more suggestions?  I'd like things that are varying tests of strength, dexterity, agility, intelligence, and even luck, but that anyone in any physical shape could compete in.  I was thinking this could be part of Best Weekend Ever 2K9, but maybe could be pushed up to celebrate Discostup's triumphant return to SoCal or something.

 

Not much other news.  I celebrated 10 years at my work, and (unrelated to that) gave a talk to a pretty big audience (the Systems division meeting) about some technology that we're using.  I was pretty nervous, but have heard lots of feedback, both directly and indirectly, about how well the talk went.  It's always a good thing when you're supervisor comes over to tell you that other people were telling her how much they enjoyed the talk.  So that was nice.


No comments: